Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Green Thumb















I love growing flowers...I really do. Unfortunately, you wouldnt know by the dried out, wilted and slightly moldy growth that accumulated in the rectangular window box I had out front by the end of last summer. Sure, it looked good at first. I had been up at Hilltop Steak House where beside the Butcher Shop is an outdoor garden shop. There I bought blooming little yellow, red, purple and white Pom Poms, Germaniums, and Asters. This was going to be the year! I thought. It went well for the first few weeks, maybe even month and a half. At that point I had forgotten to water them too often and it didn’t seem like they were going to rally this time. I worried what my neighbors across the street were thinking.










Well this year is different. Number 1) the rectangular flower box out front was blown away during those real high wind and rain storms last month. I saw it upside down in the corner neighbor's yard. The next day it had disappeared. Im sure they meant to give it back but didnt notice it in front of our house for the past 6 months and didnt know who to return it to.
Number 2) for reasons I will explain another day, we needed to purchase some flowers but it was too early in the season so I made up pots of fake flowers. They are now in our hallway looking out over the street and looking great.
Number 3) about two weeks ago, I noticed one of my onions in kitchen began to sprout. I was excited. Yes, I know that means the onion is old. I dont care. Its growing and its a healthy green. I check on it every day. I finally made something grow!
Number 4) we cannot forget the 40 year old spider plant sitting on our picture window thats hanging on by a string. This plant is amazing!

My summer gardening is done!

No comments:

Post a Comment