Thursday, May 13, 2010

Walking Tour

Boston is a very different city today compared to when I was growing up. Its not like the sun bleached, neatly manicured roads of Ft Lauderdale or the picturesque streets of Des Moines. These days Boston has a gritty quality; dark concrete and brick buildings that reflect a gum chewed, sullied and pee-streaked labyrinth that is the streets of Boston. On the up side, every morning as I come out of the train station, I am greeted by one of several homeless people wishing me a nice day or that God bless me. Usually it is similar on the way home; approaching the doors to the station, sometimes a blind man or perhaps a stocky man with dreadlocks and shiny new sneakers holds out his Dunkin Donuts cup for me to view how much change he has accumulated in the past hour. But I digress...


It was a beautiful afternoon and I decide to get out for a walk. I really don't take advantage of this city like I should. Here I am working right in the middle of the hustle and bustle of Downtown Boston and whats the first this I see when I cross the street? I see two pigeons having sex. I not only saw it, I was so close I felt like I was intruding. The moment I reached the sidewalk, these two start going at it. It was almost like a sign from God how it seemed like they were just waiting for me to get there. (A burning bush would have done just fine thank you.) And then, as quickly as it begun, it was over. But the pheromones must have been in the air because pigeons started landing next to me left and right. A least 30 of them! I couldn't step fast enough out of the way for them to join their two horny little friends cooing and snapping their necks, parading the sidewalk they they were gray and white winged models posing and walking down a cockeyed runway.
I sidestepped my way out of there and continued.

Boston is always full of chic and elegant people coming and going. The dress code varies as much as the people do. From men in suits and ties to hip 20-somethings in skinny jeans and high tops, from colorful African dresses and headdresses to grunge metal- to just plain homeless men or women grunge. You see it all.
Here I captured a photo of a woman who matched all the way down to her shoes. No small feat-but more easily done by having a DSW flagship shoe store just 2 blocks down.



I worked my way down Washington Street to the Chinatown. I love immersing myself in a culture where I can simultaneously buy a head of Bok Choy and a pound of chicken feet and get stabbed by the Chinese Mafia on the way home. Its very exciting.

I walked back, stopping at the giant CVS on the corner only to bear witness to a big man standing at the cash register yelling "Its jerky! There's no tax!" to the cashier. He loudly repeated this to the girl and the entire store. Then stormed out with said jerky. The manager another young girl who liked curiously just like the cashier said, "He didnt pay". I think they just "ate" that sale. As I left the store moments later I spied the man standing at the corner. I looked for the suspect jerky but I didnt have my glasses on so could make out much detail and didn't want to get too close. Although, I looked to see if he was chewing and he wasn't.

I dodge rolling suitcases, men with public spitting problems, women searching for Filene's Basement (try Newbury Street), young girls wheeling baby carriages and lines of teenagers with chips on their shoulders. I break through and manage to emerge at the Borders bookstore across from my office. If you think you are gonna be taking a break on the pubic benches out front of the store think again. Its and odd thing to see a homeless man singing to his boom box (on the bench-don't try to move it)next to him while beside him is a lady in Guccis and dark glasses tries to ignore him. Beside her sits obvious tourist family speaking a foreign language and looking very lost. All the seats are full. Why do you want to sit where bag ladies and drunks take up residence anyway?

Back at my office the tours were going by. They always stop directly in front of my office door. I don't want to alarm them, or push my way through a crowd of German or Japanese families so I wait for the guide to finish his spiel before going in. Beware tourists! Don't trip over the cracked and peeled "Freedom Trail" in front of my building and that runs through the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment