Sunday, May 2, 2010

Up your nose...

When I returned to my office from lunch the other day, I no sooner sat down when my coworker called to me asking for help. He said he was taking his blood pressure pill and somehow when it went down the wrong, he coughed and it went up his nose! I suspected the pill itself had slide down his throat but it left his nose burning and stinging as the pill started to dissolve! He needed my help right away! With quick thinking, I grabbed a cup from my desk and led him to the kitchen area. "Ok Jim, we need to flush out your nose cavity and the best way to do that is to get some clean water up your nose." He nodded his compliance and I filled the cup. "Do you want to do it?" I asked, holding the cup of water forth. No he wanted me to do it. I raised my eyebrows, got close and proceeded. "Tilt your head back" I told him. He did so and I held the cup to one nostril and then the other. I carefully poured a little water and each time he coughed and spit into the sink. "is it helping?" I asked. "Yeah, lets do some more". After several more applications plus once where he snorted the water instead, we were done. He was grateful for my help and quick thinking. "It still stings a little but not as bad as before."
"Do you want to rinse with more water?"
"Nah", he said, "I'll go have a couple of beers after work and that will clean it out."
So much for Madam Nightingale...

1 comment: